You may not be a chemical engineer or entomologist, but if you're like most of us, you've spent nights awake thinking about creative ways to rid your home of these pests.

This forum is for sharing ideas about how the stink bug problem could be solved. You don't need to back up your idea with mechanics or data, just a good hypothesis. Maybe your idea will trigger someone else's idea, and help lead to a real solution!

You can start with, "Wouldn't it be great if..." or, "You know what might work?"

In order to post ideas, you'll have to sign up to become a member. It's free!

Views: 14120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think you're looking at it the wrong way; just find a use for them and the rest will take care of itself.

Stink Bugs obviously contain a certain chemical or chemicals either not found elsewhere or, at least, not in the same quantities. (So far, I've only been able to determine that this is probably aldehydes trans-2-decenal and trans-2-octenal.) Simply find or create a use for these compounds. Originally, I was thinking in terms of pharmaceuticals but it seems more likely it might be in the cosmetics/perfume possibly even food industry.

As soon as they have a use, thus a value is assigned to them, they can be harvested, marketed, etc. Before long— as is the case with anything that greedy, short-sighted humans assign a value to, be it warm, furry or pretty, shiny things—it won't be long before this "resource is depleted" or at least there'll be "shortages". Problem solved.

..or is it? Perhaps larger problem created?

Afterall, wars have been fought over bird shit and we still kill millions and spend billions over ugly, stinky gooey black stuff oozing underground.

I hope I haven't just "fired the first shot" of the "Stink Bug Wars"!
I do have Stink Bugs around here (how I came across this site) but, as yet, still haven't had the pleasure of tasting or smelling any. To any of those of you that have, do they really smell or taste at all similar to coriander or cilantro or is that merely something that people who don't like the taste of cilantro say to emphasize just how much they don't like the taste of cilantro? (It does seem to be a "love it" or "hate it" situation.)

I can't vouch for the truth of it, but I have seen several sources that say, in Mexico & certain South/Central American countries, they are sometimes sprinkled on their tacos. Others prefer to eat them by themselves.

I (now do but didn't always) like the taste of cilantro but most Americans do not so this may not be a perfect solution but it might explain why we aren't being overrun with bugs that taste like Pepsi or Twinkies!

Imagine a blend of camphor, cat piss, with just the slightest hint of skunk. As for consistency, the one that had crawled into my coffee mug the other night had a crunchy almost nut like texture. The ones that have crawled into my mouth while I was sleeping were very similar. And you know what? It's January! Can't wait for next summer. Good luck with your culinary pursuits. 

I have found it interesting that the original articles I found on SBs about three years ago when they started invading my home in Western Pennsylvania have been taken down.  The articles discussed the import of the SBs by farmers in central Pennsylvania to control the Asian Beetle (orange, lady bug appearing beetles) that were destroying crops.  The articles stated that they were brought here with the aid of the Agriculture department at Penn State.  All of a sudden, they were "accidentally" introduced through importation of vegetation from Asia (China specifically).  Great job Penn State!  Had you done your research you would have found that although the BMSBs are a natural predator for the Asian beetles in China - their population is controlled by two natural predators, both specific the Asia  - a bird (can't remember the name) and a lizard.  Neither of these species would survive the climate in PA.  Perhaps the folks in China don't mind them since they are not the nusance they are here because of over-population. 

So, now that I've vented, on to the brainstorming....  perhaps we need to genetically engineer a bird species that is specific to the North East that would find them irresistable?   How about crop-dusting planes filled with soapy water?  (the people at  Proctor & Gamble should be all of this since Dawn works best).  Just think how clean everything would be...

sounds like a good idea :-)
No, actually that sounds like a really horrible idea  ..unless the attempt is to wipe out all insects —and who knows what else— which, again, is a not a good idea. I assumed (and hope) Crystal was being facetious.

Also, since first reading this, curious about this GodAwful odor I keep hearing about, I've done a bit of experimentation squishing Stinkbugs dead & dried, juicy & lively, and inbetween and in every case I was unable to evoke even the slightest scent. (Yes, they were the same ones pictured). Someone's barking up the wrong tree or this is just a lot of nonsense. These Stinkbugs are now just another bug.

Actually... I was being serious.  Genetically engineering a bird species that is already here will change nothing but their preference (instead of disdain) for the BMSB.  Birds are already here and have never "wiped out all insects" so that scenario is unlikely. 

As for their smell being a "lot of nonsense" - I have personally been offended by their odor.  I wouldn't call it "GodAwful", however, it reminds me of someone who hasn't showered in days and is akin to the "dirty hair smell".  Maybe that is not offensive to some people.  I have a coworker that washes her hair infrequently and smells like BMSBs and she claims they don't "stink" .  Guess it's a matter of perspective.

Their odor is their defense against predators; both animal and human.

If it were practical, realistic and feasible to genetically engineer birds as you describe, I couldn't agree more.

What I was referring to (as a bad idea) is what it seemed she was referring to: "crop-dusting planes filled with soapy water". I thought that would've been clear but maybe neither of us ("us" being Sharon or me) were sufficiently specific.

Regarding the smell, my olfactory system is in good order but those I've tried have no smell; good, bad or otherwise. Maybe what we've got here are imposters.
 I'll try again next year after, first, rinsing my sniffer to cleanse my palette. If you're suggesting that I stink so bad myself (which is how it seems) that I'm just unable to notice, I can assure you that that's not the case, at least not usually.

I was not suggesting that you smell bad - heck, I don't even know you.  I was mearly stating that what smells bad (or stinks!) is subjective - as is obvious when you walk past someone with awful smelling aftershave or perfume.  They obviously think it smells good even though we might not agree.

I thought it was obvious that I was joking about the soapy crop-dusting.  Maybe I needed to add an LOL...

Crystal your statements have been clear. They were good dreams lol! Someone suggested bats, Does anybody have any info on that idea? And yes SBs stink badly. I can smell a stinkbug before I see where it has landed and they haven't even released their defense stink yet.

I was thinking of rigging a trap using an infrared light and sticky board. Worried they might release their stink. I am still seeing 1 to 4 a day and thought maybe do this while we are sleeping and all lights are turned off except for the infrared.

Any thoughts?

Absolutely worth a try.  I do not know of any evidence that they are attracted to the light, but they are attracted to the warmth it would emit.  Their stink should not emanate very far from the trap.  Please let us know the results, positive or negative.

RSS

End stink bug infestation in your house. Learn how to control, kill, and get rid of brown marmorated stink bugs.

Stink Bug Products Our Members Recommend:

Contact

This site was created by John Barry, Big Time Stink Bug Hater. Email me at admin@stopstinkbugs.com.

© 2017   Created by Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service